Friday, May 16, 2008

Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon...

My friend from work's fifth grade daughter started her period for the first time yesterday. Mom was home with a sick younger daughter so Mia (name changed) was up with us in the library after school. After I talked to her mom on the phone, I couldn't help but make a big deal. I waited to see her face when she got back from the nurse before I decided to be silly. She came in carrying her little brown paper sack with her new "lady supplies" and I jumped up and ran over to hug her while shouting, "Welcome to the club!!! You're a woman now!!" She was grinning and giggling and looking at me like I was a total idiot. But she's used to that because her mother and I share the same kind of sense of humor.

I sent her mom this article about how to throw a puberty party. I also sent Mia a "have a happy period" card from always.com. The fact that these are meant in a sincere way is what makes them funny. I heard about these on my friend Bonnie's blog when she posted this rant that made me laugh so hard. I am endlessly amused by myself.

Last night Mia's mom talked to her about periods and PMS and how it makes her mean. Mia said, "That explains a lot, Mom." She also asked her parents, "Since I'm a woman now, can I stay up 'til 11?" Haha! She is so funny! Her mom also quizzed her in the minivan by saying, "Oh Mia, you are so hot! I want to have sex with you so bad." Mia: "No." Mom: "WHAT? I can't HEAR you!" Mia: "NO!" So funny.

Right before I got off the phone with my friend, I said, "You know this means she can get pregnant." She comes right back with, "Listen, I know one of you is driving her home, but if you bring her home knocked up, I'm gonna be pissed."

It is funny to me how much I enjoyed being a part of Mia's little moment...I'm giving her big winks in the hall and she's standing tall.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

This reminds me of my mom's best friend. She was part of all our little moments.

Bought me my first training bra (when I totally didn't even need it yet), and bought my brother his first little tube of deodorant.

She was awesome. We loved her very much.