Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Carving Out Some Time

For some reason I was suddenly inspired to look into local volunteer opportunities. I found tons of cool sites that hook you up with people who need volunteers.

I have limited time but was thinking I could carve out 1-2 hours after school once or twice a week so I searched with that in mind.

Here's one that I found that I wanted to share:
Patient Care Volunteer -A*Med Community Hospice

We need volunteers to provide companionship to our patients and/or families in Travis, Williamson, and Bastrop counties. The schedule is flexible and depends upon you and the patient/family/facility that you agree to be assigned. You may run errands, sit with patient, read to patient, walk their dog, spend time with their children or just be present.


I was thinking about the nurses and staff when my Papa was in hospice and how amazing they were. I meant to write them a thank you after he passed away but I guess I never really thought about it again.


Another cool one I saw that seems more temporary was
Austin/Travis County Homeless Count/Survey

“Stand up and be counted” 2009 Point in Time Count and Survey OFFICIAL VOLUNTEER CALL What is the point-in-time count?

The point in time count occurs every two years and is a census of all homeless persons in Travis County. Cities nationwide will be participating in similar counts this year and reporting the data to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). We will also be conducting a voluntary survey in conjunction with the count this year. In 2007, there were 80 volunteers participating in the count and 2,148 unsheltered homeless individuals counted.

Why is it important?
The homeless count and survey will help identify who is homeless in Travis County and provide us with a baseline number of homeless individuals. The data collected will be useful on many levels:

· It will give Travis County leverage when applying for federal or private aid to maintain and/or improve service delivery to the homeless population.

· The count can be used to measure progress towards ending chronic homelessness by 2014.

· It will increase public awareness of the homeless population in Travis County.

· It will allow agencies to improve their ability to plan and implement effective services for homeless persons.

****************

Anyhoo there were tons of links to one-time events such as walks/fundraisers.

I Googled "volunteer opportunities".

I'm not posting this to say oh look at me I'm great or oh you should be doing this. It just seems like I think about volunteering and I think about it and think about it but it never happens. Maybe announcing it to the universe (my blog readers, you are my universe!) will push me to make it happen. I emailed the Hospice so maybe it's working already.

PMSing and feeling emotional!!

2 comments:

Sara Ballard said...

I think volunteering with hospice is wonderful, and quite a big deal. It will change the way you view death and dying forever. I think its great that you are puting this all out into "the blogging universe" even if you don't end up working with the people you mentioned. Intention is half the battle. :)

jw said...

I'm so with you. I feel so grateful for what I have and want to give back. I would love an opportunity to volunteer with the kids. Let them see what life is like outside of their bubble and to know how important it is to love, give, and be compassionate.