Saturday, October 25, 2008

?

I just finished watching Billy Elliott. I've seen it a few times before, but I guess it had been awhile. That movie kills me. I mean, it really does slay me. My eyes are practically swollen shut. I forgot how much I love it.

I get so emotionally involved in movies, some shows, some books. My chest was actually hurting in some parts of this movie. I have been known to go into full-on sobs in movie theaters, on planes, in doctor's offices. After I saw Hotel Rwanda (by myself) I sat in the parking lot and cried for almost an hour. I had to call my mom and have her help me calm down. It was the holiday season and I couldn't listen to the trivial bullshit on the radio for days afterwards.

On the flip side, I have peed in my pants laughing at movies more times than I care to count. People have turned around to stare. I swear I could barely breathe in sitting next to my friend Anj when we saw Pineapple Express. Good thing she is demonstrative too since I kept finding myself smacking her on the arms and legs while laughing.

Not only did I laugh and cry my way through the last Harry Potter, but I also laid in bed and cried afterwards because it was all over. I love Haven Kimmel and her family so much that when I read her stories I feel it like a stone in the pit of my stomach. Davis Sedaris makes me laugh so hard I have dropped not one, but two of his memoirs into my bathtub.

Sometimes I wish I could let things slide a little more - it's only a television show, for Christ's sake! I actually had to stop watching ER because I was crying myself into a headache every freaking week. When I watch 30 Rock or Arrested Development it is so funny to me - SURELY funnier to me than anyone else - so perfectly "my sense of humor" that it seems odd that I am not friends with those people in real life. They would like me! I'm sure of it! What? That's not sad, is it?

Yes, I have an active imagination. I have always gotten so involved in my books that I can't hear or see what's going on around me. Many times I absolutely have no idea if I have seen a movie of a book I have read. I will argue with myself - have I seen it or not? My brain creates such vivid scenes and scenarios when I read a really good book that I honestly am not sure.

Are other people like this, or am I an extreme case?

I went to see Rendition with people from work. I didn't even think it was that great of a movie, but I was so profoundly disturbed by the situation and the fact that it was true that when the lights came up I was sobbing away. None of the other EIGHT ladies were crying. In fact they seemed surprised that I was. Tim rolls his eyes when I come out of the bathtub with a runny nose and swollen eyes where I have been reading Edward's Eyes - a children's book (for god's sake again).

Honestly, however inconvenient - I wouldn't get rid of this strange part of myself. I am sometimes incredulous that other people aren't as moved as I am. I guess this is just a piece of what makes me that nut that I am.

P.S. I have been agonizing over finding the right one word to describe a person who is completely taken in by something. Can you help? Zealot sounds too negative...

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You're not alone. I remember in 10th grade we watched Spartacus... the teacher had the lights down so we could see the screen and when she turned the lights back on, everyone else was just sitting there perfectly calm, but my face was completely covered in tears.

Andrea said...

OMG. Domi is the SAME way! I'll never forget the night he came downstairs after watching Titanic (I was preggers with Sophia, so it was only 2.5 years ago, so he was 13-14) and he literally ran toward me with this LOOK on his face, I had NO idea what happened, I started to panic, I asked what was wrong, he couldn't talk and then just started bawling. HARD. He kept saying, when those people died, the families, the children...I don't ever want to lose you or dad, or jay, or the baby...how they had to watch their families die....

Man, it took me an HOUR to calm him down. My sweet, poor guy.

I remember when I watched saving private ryan. I sat in the car on the way home and couldn't even talk. Movies do stay with me for a long time.

And yes, Zealot is not the right word. I'll letcha know if I think of one...

iMother2.0 said...

Many books, movies, shows have gotten me over the years, but I watched The Green Mile alone in the theatre. I had a hard time concealing my hopefully silent sobs. I bawled like a baby in the car forever!

Things have gotten worse for me after finding the love of my life and creating a child together. I couldn’t get past the first chapter in The Secret Life of Bees.