Monday, October 13, 2008

Epics

I have probably blogged about this before, but when I fall into a lull and it's been awhile without a post, I feel this pressure to post something witty next time. Then I think of a million things I want to say but none of them are witty. So I don't post anything and so on and so forth. So, since this blog is very cathardic for me, I am breaking the seal and hope to post much nonsense in the next few days.
Such as
Why do I enjoy watching religous epic movies so much? I am not religious, not a Christian even, but I have seen all of these movies over and over again. Jesus of Nazaerth, The Robe, King of Kings...I always watch those around Christmas and Easter. Right now I am immersed in The Last Temptation of Christ. Let's go back to my childhood. The obvious answer is Catholic school my whole life. Maybe it's the fact that I know all of these stories backwards and forwards, upside down and inside out. Maybe I just love a good epic movie - that is certainly true. I have a special soft spot for 50s and 60s epic films. I love Cleoparta just as much. I like Egypt movies, Rome ones, too. I watched Rome on HBO and was totally wrapped up. My mom is the same way...I don't know - she may consider herself Christian but she was never religious growing up. But we watched all these together. Watching them doesn't make me want to be a Christian. I just like them.I haven't seen The Nativity Story, but I probably will. I haven't seen The Passion of the Christ and I probably won't. This is essentially a pointless post, but it was just something I was thinking about as I flipped to this movie in the middle and found myself watching again. I wish I could sit and watch all the old movies I love - especially the ones I remember parts of (but not the titles) from when I was little and lying in my mom's bed with her...

No comments: