Monday, October 20, 2008

Won't You Join Me?

Okay, after a rough week of the universe forcing me to acknowledge my fatness, I have decided to try a new approach. This time I am going to work on fitness first and let the food follow. I tend to eat better when I am exercising and I am NOT exercising.

I have a book called Running for Mortals: A commonsense plan for changing your life through running by John "the Penguin" Bingham that lays out a very specific training plan that is intended to take away many of the reasons people get hurt when training or starting to run. For example, I ALWAYS try to do too much, too soon and end up hurt or giving up.

This is a baby-steps program going from just walking to "walk 3; run 2" for the Trail of Lights (or any other local 5k)on/around Dec 13th.

I hope that from there we can set our sights on the Cap 10k (or other) and baby-step our way a little farther.

I am really crossing my fingers that some of you will want to do this. I would like to try to get together when we can to group walk/run if you are in Austin. This will be even easier for some of you who are already excercising at the same times on your own. That way I will HAVE to keep up with the plan or I won't be able to keep up! The best part is that everything is between 30 mins and an hour and can be done with a stroller no sweat! I always played team sports and do much better when a group is involoved. Even if it's nothing more than checking in on the board, it would help.

That means you non-Austinites! We can still help each other over the intrawebz!

I copied down the training plan wth only minor changes because of the closer date (Sirens! Copyright police! Bad librarian.) Let me know if you wanna do it and I'll send you the file.

Please be aware that the Strength section on Thursdays can also be made into a rest day. I combined the 5k program with the weight loss program...

I started it this week just because the first week has no running and I know lots of you are probably walking already. If you don't jump in 'til Wed (for example), it should be no sweat. If you start Tuesday, just walk instead of Strength train that day, kwim?

And for the preggers ladies out there, the book also has a walking-only training program if you prefer. I will post it if you're interested.

If you haven't been to the Trail of Lights (or the 5k specifically), it's really fun and the kiddos love it! It's a new tradition in our little family to do the 5k. And if you're not in Austin, I bet there is a Jingle Bell run or similar December 5k in your area, too! Or just do it to get off your arse...or just to be nice and help me get off of mine while I still have working furniture in my house!

Won't you join me?

1 comment:

anja said...

hey mel, I have been running since 9/21 you probably read about my progress on my blog. I can be a remote supporter but I don't know how to coincide running together, unless it was on the weekends and we went someplace mid way or took turns to each others or went somewhere special like running by the lake or something. I would love to try the 5 k trail of lights, but I return from India on 12/12 and I will be pretty jet lagged on the 13th..so that's why I didn't chime in earlier..