Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Come On

Why are people do stinking selfish? When presented with the opportunity to be a part of something really cool with the purpose of teaching our kids PHILANTHROPY the only things they can think of are themselves. What's in it for us? What will we get if we do this? Not if my kid doesn't get to do it! Also my proposal for a character education program was rejected and that doesn't help my pessimistic attitude. Just not worth it, I guess. When I see answers to the question "What would you do if you had a million dollars?" that overwhelmingly list all the things they would buy (some even go so far as to say they would enslave other people), I feel very very sad. I know they are only kids, but why can't we talk to them about thinking about how they could give up just a few of those things to help other people. Why can't we care more about teaching these kiddos what is important in life? Maybe we could plant something in them that just whispers in the back of their minds. Most of us are more privileged than most, and we and our children are/will be in a better position to help others. I am so frustrated by the attitude that if it does not IMMEDIATELY pay off for us it's not worth doing. I get so upset about it that I can barely keep it in. I just don't even know what to say.

No comments: