Saturday, June 28, 2008

Djembabes

Last week we met up with some friends and their kiddos at Central Market to see and hear the Djembabes, a group of women who drum and sing African music. It was so fun. The music was amazing and we all got into the groove. The kiddos rocked out and the mamas soon followed. Greyson sometimes won't dance out it public, but this time he was really into it! Later Tim took him home so I could stay for the next set. I danced my ass off at that point and I didn't care about what I looked like. I felt good. I was SOAKED in sweat afterwards. Now I totally want to take African dancing in addition to African drumming! It was such a great release. Afterwards I got to hang out and talk to my friend Stephanie. I hadn't really gotten the chance to sit and talk to her one on one without kids before, and I really enjoyed it. This night is another example of what I love about Austin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

**ETA: Forgot to say...More on my Flickr - start here and go left**

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I had such a great time that night. It was nice not having to worry about kids although when everyone was eating together as a family, I kind of felt a little odd without my family. I got over it real quick though! I enjoyed my time with you as well. We need to chat more often!

Andi said...

What a wonderful time! I am a teacher, and at my school we have a West African dance class...I always wish I could move like they do (I am so not a dancer or musician- no rhythm!) I can imagine that the drums and the voices just get inside you, and you can't help but move! Good for you...good also to have a kid-free evening once in a blue moon!