Monday, June 30, 2008

Totally F#%*ed Up

I have a long, complicated, fucked-up history with alcohol adn addiction in general. Both of my parents are alcoholics. I have memories of visiting my dad in treatment and all of the groups that followed - Sunshine Kids (I think it was called), Alakids, Alateens, etc.... My mother started out in Al-Anon and then went to AA as well. I basically grew up in and around meetings and that culture. That did not stop me from drinking in excess, especially in high school where I would drink very quickly to get drunk and almost always to the point of passing out. Luckily, I outgrew the worst of it by the time I turned 21 - well by the time I got to college, really. I still enjoy having drinks (and yes - getting a good buzz) when I go out to party or have people over, but I'm not really one to just have drinks in the evening at home.

But my addictive personality reared its head in another way -eating. I quickly gained a LOT of weight and have been up and down ever since. Now I am 70 pounds heavier than my weight entering college (and again in 2004, briefly). I am feeling out of control with my eating. I eat and eat and then hate myself immediately afterwards and wonder why I can't just NOT DO THAT. For example this morning I was feeling tired and ugly and pissed off at myself for being disgusting - so what did I do? I went and bought and ate a whole bag of white donuts. Which (I looked afterwards) was way more calories than I'm supposed to have in a whole day. It's impossible to say what I'm thinking while I'm eating them and as soon as I'm done I want to cry or go to sleep. But even when I am aware that this is how it will end I do not stop doing it. I am embarrassed when I see pictures of myself and embarrassed that this is the only way my new friends know me. That being said, there is almost nothing I dread more than running into someone who knew me as the athletic, active person I once was. I know I should excercise, but then it all seems like too much of an ordeal and I think, "Oh I'm soo tired. It really would do me better to get some rest." And so on and so on ad nauseum. This must really be bothering me, because it's not at all what I originally started this post to say.

Needless to say, I have my issues with addiction.

So let me get back to it. I grew up with parents in AA through college. Now they both drink again, though separately after a nasty divorce. I guess they consider themselves "cured"?? Anyway it is a weird feeling to see either of them drinking.

Now, Tim's family. They drink. A lot. Like every day. Tim's older brother is a practicing alcoholic. Tim diesn't find it out of the ordinary to have beer around all the time. It drives me absolutely insane to have him drink most nights when we're just sitting around the house. I let it eat and eat at me (no pun intended (I say while searching for food)) until I finally said something. I told Tim that I did not have that going on around me all the time growing up and I don't want it to be that way around Greyson, especially if he is succeptable to my family's addictive personality. I point out that he has had beer every night for almost 2 weeks. And he usually finishes a six-pack, so it's not just A beer. And it REALLY bothers me. He has said he honestly doesn't think drinking a six-pack is that big of a deal. I recognize that I may have a warped view, but really? Really? Night after night, and not just at a party? I don't buy that. He says he'll "work on it" and doesn't drink on Saturday. I appreciate the effort. Then he goes out specifically to get a six pack the next night. Why? We're just going to watch a movie. Oh, that calls for beer! Maybe I should ask him to pick me up some white donuts while he's there, huh?

What I don't say if that when he is having his beers and starts sounding buzzed I am annoyed with everything he does and says. I don't find it cute. I don't find it sexy. I don't want to kiss him or cuddle him or smell his breath. I lie in bed wondering if he is starting to give off that horrible sour smell through his pores like his brother or if I'm just imagining it. I wonder if I can let it go, but I don't think so. I start to calculate the cost of all this beer. In the last two weeks, I'd say over $100. And if I'm being honest with myself, I have probably been spending big money on food in the past week since all I've been wanting to do is eat and sleep. I know all of these things are related, and I don't know how they will be resolved. I guess I have to try to figure out what I'm going to do about me and my own out-of-control feelings first. I don't feel like I have a right to complain about excess when I am just as much of a lush, but with food. But it doesn't seem fair that I don't get to feel conflicted about the drinking just because of my own shit. I guess we're both fucked-up but I feel like I have reached the point where I HAVE to work on it and I can't do it by myself.

There. At least I'm still too full to be hungry. But I am sleepy...

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, mama, I wish I could wave a magic wand and make your hurt go away. I don't have any answers for you, just love and a shoulder to cry on if you need it.

You are one tough broad and I know you will find your way through this.

Unknown said...

You have such a special soul and it really shines! I only wish that you could see the beautiful, intelligent and brave woman that we all see!

Bonnie said...

welcome to the f#%*ing club! And you are still allowed to have feelings about Tim's behavior even if you feel messed up and vice versa.

Christen said...

I get it. And I'm sorry. I'm here.

Stephanie said...

Boy, can I relate to what you posted about the weight thing. I have gained so much weight in the last few years. I have many of the same feelings you do. With a food addiction, you can't just stop cold turkey like you can with alcohol or drugs. We need food to survive. It becomes a very slippery slope. If you ever want to talk, I'm here. Shoot me an email or call...I totally understand the feelings.

Vered said...

I am sorry! I wish I could help. I am thinking some kind of a support group, such as overeaters anonymous, but I don't know if that's a very helpful suggestion. Re alcohol, who buys it usually? Maybe if you don't have it in the house it would help.

I feel like I'm not being very helpful so I'll just stop and give you a HUG.

anja said...

Mel, you've seemed a little down for a couple weeks now...I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. You are such an amazing ball of energy and even though it seems like a long uphill battle, I see you 30 pounds lighter than before I left for India. A slip up once in awhile doesn't mean you're back to square one. I totally understand your feelings about Tim having alcohol around G at all times and maybe that's a way to talk about it. Maybe you make a pact together, only weekends..anyway, you probably don't need solutions and just wanted to vent sorry for being preachy, don't intend it. If you want to hang out, I would be very happy to see you anytime, really I look forward to times when I'll see you, you are fabulous and make me happy. love and hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm a daughter of a alcoholic family too. We carry alot of weight on our shoulders don't we? Please hang in there. Your blog makes me laugh and bob my head up and down. Yes! I know the feeling....

allison said...

I'm sorry, Mel, you are struggling with this. I can relate to the overconsumption of alcohol bit with my own husband -- it just kind of sucks for that to be the model of life for your children when you maybe want it to be something different. You are such a great mother, friend, human being -- stay focussed on the changes you can affect.

Andi said...

Your post litterally brought tears to my eyes because I can so relate to your issues with food. I never imagined that I had an addictive personality, but I am beginning to believe it. I have never been very thin, but I had my daughter at 17, and am not sure what my normal adult weight would have really been. I gained 80 pounds when I was pregnant with her, and that was carefully watching what I ate (LOL); my mother still controlled all back then. Fast forward to years and years of just eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and pound after pound. A few years ago, I started Weight Watchers, and was so successful that I lost 50 pounds...still not thin mind you, but SO much better. It was almost religious how much attention I paid to that program...meetings, recipes, even on vacation, NOTHING would make me cheat. All it took was a few people to comment on how much better I looked, and I completely screeched to a halt. WTF??? I have gained back every pound, and if I was honest, perhaps a few more. I so completely sympathize with you. Stephanie was right when she said what a slippery slope food addiction is because we HAVE to eat...we just can not stop completely. I know I am an emotional eater...but I eat no matter the emotion. So, is that really true? I hope you find some way to deal with this. I am looking for some idea as well. I keep telling myself, as almost everyone I know has recently been successful at shedding pounds, that I am just not ready to deal with this...it's now or never, I guess.
About the alcohol...I do not know you personally, so I feel odd commenting on something I do not know about first hand, but I do know that as a mother, you have a right to want your child to grow up a certain way. You are not wrong in thinking that we set examples for our children by what we eat and drink. I have a 19 year old daughter who is just as overweight as I am, and that pains me to the CORE. I know that pretty much, I am responsible for that. I should have set better examples for her, and taught her how to eat right. She also has had issues with alcohol...it is a serious issue, and you have every right to want something different for your child. How to have that, I do not know. Some help I am. Please know that YOU are NOT alone. The tears that I have shed are because I SO get this post, and your frustration and anger behind it. You can not do this by yourself...but it seems like you have tons of very supportive friends. That is a wonderful place to start. (I apologize for this ridiculously long response...)

1 said...

My heart was in my stomach when I read your post, Melanie. And I so relate to your thoughts. I'm sorry sorry you are struggling with so much and wish I could give you a big hug. I know we've touched on it briefly, but I struggle with the alcohol topic every day. I grew up with an alcoholic mother who is now biplor, depressed and can only manage to stay sober for about 3-4 months at a time (for the past ten+ years). She hasn't seen Chloe in 6 months b/c I don't want her around. It really consumes so much of our days having grown up with it. Every time I even look at someone having a drink (or if I'm knocking one back myself) I think about it. I always wonder if anyone counts my drinks...and wonder if it's normal to count someone else's.
Just please know you are not alone in your thoughts or wrong in thinking them. You are very brave and smart woman and I know you will find the answers you are looking for in time. I'm always here if you need to chat. Sounds like you have some awesome friends there in Austin, too, so take advantage of them :) xoxo.

iMother2.0 said...

I read this yesterday, and didn't know how to respond. I just didn't want anything I wrote to come off as anything but supportive and loving.

Ugh. It just wrote like 6 lines, but erased them. I'm not good at this. Can I get away with 'I feel ya' and 'may the force be with you'?

I love ya, babe :)