Monday, June 30, 2008

Today

Didn't want to leave the day with my long rant. So here is what I did about it today: I completed a salsa exercise video and pushed G in the stroller for 45 minutes (got to enjoy the blustery 93 degree cold front!). I ate a normal dinner with Greyson and did not stuff myself. That is today.

Here is my plan for tomorrow:
-I will attempt to eat no more than a palm-size serving of any one thing (What, no entire box of mac and cheese??) unless that thing is a fruit or a vegetable.
-I will try to eat around other people. I do not eat like a human vaccum cleaner in public, around friends, or in front of Greyson or Tim. It is pretty much a solitary activity.
-If I must eat alone, I will not do it in front of any media and I will not read while doing it. This one will be tough as I ALWAYS read while I eat alone. ALWAYS. Hopefully this will help me focus on what I'm doing.
-I will move my ass. At least a 30 minute walk just to get started.

I am so stupidly all or nothing and although that formula has always allowed me to lose weight in the past, it has obviously never worked when it came to keeping it off. But now it is more than just the need to lose weight - I feel bad physically and mentally.

I resolve for the next month to not worry so much about calories, etc. and to focus on not binge eating. I do enjoy good food and when I force myself to give it all up, I end up going nuts and eating way more than I would have in the first place. I will not focus so much on having a kick-ass exercise routine and more about making sure I move every day. Maybe easing in will make it a more realistic change this time.

I hope that this will allow me to feel like I have a little more control in one part of my life.

When I get into this kind of funk I tend to obsess about everything that is wrong with me and my life. I truly truly appreciate all of your support and kind words. I am so lucky to have a support system here in Austin (in less than a year) unlike any I've had before. Don't be offended if I do only talk about this on the blog or through e-mail. It's easier to say what I feel here and I seem to blog in the moment (not sure if that's good). It doesn't mean that I don't love and appreciate you and take what you say to me to heart.

As for Tim...he's not home yet. I don't want it to seem like I don't love Tim because I really do. And I know he loves me - he tells me all the time. This is something I'm not really willing to let slide though. However, I think I will go brush my teeth before he gets home. That way if he brings home ANOTHER six pack, I won't be as tempted to eat an entire bag of chips...because that is what I can control in this equation.

Thanks ladies.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm happy to hear what you did today.

And that you have a plan for tomorrow.

And maybe a heart to heart talk with the hubby. And ask him what he is feeling too?

Maya said...

Taking each day in stride is the best way to approach it sometimes. And it sounds like you're headed in good directions but it'll take lots of dedication. Why can't it all just be a bit easier?

Andi said...

Your plan is a good one. I pray that it works for you!! Good luck.

iMother2.0 said...

You've motivated ME!!! I'm gonna move today... :) I'm SOOOO the emotional binge eater.

Yeah, I hear ya about the not talking about this stuff in person...for some reason, blogging is easier and way less painful!

Love ya!

Selena said...

What if it isn't your fault?

What if the overeating is just a sign that you have an imbalanced biochemistry, nothing more? And that by changing what and when you eat you can heal your body, stop the bingeing, and know what to do to prevent it from happening ever again?

I used to binge constantly. It was the first thing I thought about in the morning and the last thing at night. I hated myself, I was depressed, I had to drag myself through the day and I had so much shame it was unreal.

Now, eighteen months after following the advice on the Radiant Recovery website I am totally different. I am joyful, content, serene, confident, I haven't binged in well over a year and I eat just three meals a day.

There was no white-knuckling, just a sensible approach to healing my biochemistry with normal everyday foods.

Finding Radiant Recovery has changed my life. Why not look it up and see what you think? There is hope out there. And it's not your fault.

All the best from someone who has been there and come out the other side.